Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Master bathroom makeover

I don't know about anyone else, but my projects often grow to be a little bigger than I originally plan for them to be. Usually this is either because 1. in the midst of the project, I think about all the related things I'd like to work on, and think, "Well, as long as I'm already doing this...." or 2. about halfway through, something breaks or I discover it's not working properly, and we have to repair or replace it.

Fortunately, #1 was the case with the master bathroom makeover. I originally just planned to paint, but as I was painting, I figured that some new rugs and other accessories, and some new artwork (or maybe I should just say "some artwork" since all the bathroom had before was one mismatched painting) could be good. And I love the results!

Now, pictures.

First, the "before." (As you can see, I'd already started painting the ceiling and patching holes in the walls.)





 The orangey-beige paint color on the wall wasn't working for me. It really wasn't working for the brown and green color scheme that we have going in the master bedroom and bathroom. The towel bars were the cheap white builder-grade ones that were doing the room no favors. The walls were bare (except for the aforementioned picture shown above). The accessories didn't match. It was time to upgrade a few things.

After patching holes; painting the walls, ceiling, doors, and baseboards; putting in new towel bars; and adding some artwork and new accessories, here's the "after."





 I love the chocolate brown walls. I was a little concerned about using such a dark color, but I thought it would look good against the white of the ceiling, doors, and baseboards. The tub and toilet are white, too, and the flooring is a lighter color. I decided to go with it, and I'm really happy about how it turned out.

We got new towel bars and a toilet paper holder:





I thought the brown rugs with the brown walls might be too much.... brown... but I've since changed my mind. (I think the lighter flooring helps.)



I did replace the rug by the shower, but it's brown, just like the old one was. I'm thinking of changing out the one in front of the sink if I find a fun pattern I like, but I'm happy with how it looks now, too.

For the new soap dispenser and tumbler, I went with white to go along with the sink. (I'd also thought about green but couldn't find a shade of green I liked.)


And some artwork and other decor:





We do still need a new trash can, as the current one doesn't really match, has paint on it, and is a few years old and has seen better days. Oh, and I think something on the wall above the decorative towels could be good, too. Eh, we'll get there. It's hard for me to ever say a room is completely finished, because it seems there's always something I'd like to add or improve or fix up. But for right now, I'm really happy with it!

Let's do just a couple more pictures, shall we?



I'll be back later this week with more info about the artwork.

Have you painted anything lately? What's your favorite way to update or change up a room? Do projects always become bigger or take longer than you originally anticipated?

No comments:

Post a Comment