Monday, May 7, 2012

Weekend recap

Hope you all had a great weekend! This is going to be a post sans pictures, partially because I forgot to take any, and partially because my camera only works about half the time anyway.

We had a wonderful weekend! It was busy but fun. On Friday evening, David and I headed over to his sister's house for dinner with his family. His parents had come in town because his dad, sister, and her fiance were running in the mini-marathon here in Indy on Saturday. We carbo-loaded (I love carbs, and spaghetti, and filled up on my carbs even though I wasn't running in the race) and it was delicious!

On Saturday morning, while they ran, David and I slept in and then went to the gym before heading back to his sister's for lunch. Oh, and we also stopped to pick up his sister's wedding invitations (which I designed and had dropped off to have printed). It turned into quite an ordeal. (Skip past the italics if you don't care to read about said invitations ordeal.)

Apparently some of the paper had jammed in the printer during and we hadn't given them enough extra paper, so they ran out. This meant we were almost 40 invitations short. The employee doing the printing had, however, provided us with the replacement invitations.... on typing paper. Oh, and they were being printed two per page, and the paper hadn't even been cut properly. I wasn't sure if this was just to show where the mistake had happened, or if he really thought this would work as a substitute, but obviously we couldn't mail out invitations on typing paper. The employee who had done the printing wasn't there when we picked everything up, and the guy who checked us out didn't even notice the problem. David flipped through the typing paper stack and asked what it was, and I noticed a small note about being several invitations short, and that was when we discovered the trouble. Of course, it was after we'd already paid.


Fortunately, the employee checking us out was very nice and agreed to do the reprinting (on the correct paper) at no cost, as well as return our money for the invitations that were printed on typing paper. Also, we were lucky that the store had paper in stock that was virtually identical to what we'd brought in. He sent us home with a sample to show the bride and groom, and they agreed that it would work. However, we would have to come talk to the guy who'd done the actually printing, and he wasn't going to be at work until late that night, which kind of put a damper on our partying for Derby and Cinco de Mayo. But my sister-in-law and I went back that night to see him, he did the reprinting while we waited, and everything turned out well. Plus, we got a little money back for our trouble, so that was nice!

After lunch, David's parents headed home, and the party moved back to our condo. I made sangria (I got this recipe from Ashley) and we had beer as well. There were no mint juleps as we'd originally planned, but that was OK. We had chips and salsa, too, and played cornhole outside. The weather was perfect. I wore my Derby pin and hat, and we tried to bet on the Derby online but were unsuccessful (the website had too much traffic). It probably turned out for the best, though, because none of us would've won any money. I picked Dullahan, who got third (so I guess I could've gotten money depending on what type of bet I'd placed). Sadly, I've still never picked the Derby winner. Oh well... maybe next year! Watching the Derby (and when they played "My Old Kentucky Home") made me a little homesick, and I said the same thing every time that I watch the Derby on TV: "Next year, I'll be there!"

We'd debated making some sort of Mexican food for dinner but decided we'd rather be lazy and order pizza instead. It was delicious. Then we headed back outside for more cornhole, and some neighbors stopped by, too. We played cornhole until it was too dark to see anything, then headed inside to hang out for a while before calling it a night.

Sunday wasn't quite as exciting, but involved the following activities: church, breakfast, working out (that was David only), early voting downtown, attending poll worker training (we're working the polls for Election Day tomorrow), lunch downtown, a lazy afternoon at home (we both took naps and watched TV), and back to my sister-in-law's for dinner. They made Italian beef sandwiches and they were delicious! I'll have to try to get the recipe at some point.

Tonight, we're going to have to get to bed early because we have an early morning tomorrow with the election. It's going to be a long day, but I've never worked an election before, so I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

Have a good week, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment