Thursday, May 17, 2012

Saving money (+ blogs you have to see)

Here at Liz's Life, I talk about a lot of different things, but common themes for many of my posts, especially those about buying clothes, decorating the house, and doing DIY projects, is saving money and finding good deals on what you buy. Why buy new when you can make the same thing yourself or buy it used? A couple of dollars on a piece at Goodwill plus a few more bucks for a can of paint can go a long way.

While I enjoy DIY projects around our condo and would probably do some of them even if I had a million dollars, money is also a big motivator for these projects. You buy used, make it yourself, or go without so you can save money. And what do you do with that savings? Plan for retirement and future expenses, build an emergency savings fund, and pay off debt.

I think most people out there are on a budget. And most have some sort of debt. Many are saving, either for something specific or just to build general savings. So I thought I'd talk about our experiences as we save for our emergency fund (step 1 for us in the general saving money/getting rid of debt plan).

I'll do this in a series of posts. But first, I wanted to start with some encouragement, because I know many of you are probably thinking, "Getting rid of debt? Saving thousands? It's impossible!"

It's not. It's tough, but it's possible. And this blog proves it.

This guy paid off $90,000 in student loan debt in 10 months. Well, his goal was 10 months. I believe he did it in seven. If he can do it, so can you.

And he's not the only one. This blog is about the same thing (but still in progress).

Enjoy reading these blogs. And stay tuned as I share our stories of how we're cutting costs, saving money, and finding deals when we make purchases.

2 comments:

  1. This is really cool. I love anything that has to do with saving money. I'm big on staying out of debt and all that. I have $30,000 in student loans, and sometimes that seems like too much, but if a guy can get rid of $90,000, then I should be able to pay off my $30,000 even quicker if I'm disciplined :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I like reading about saving money, too. Hearing stories like his motivates me to get moving on getting rid of my own debt!

      Delete