Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Project updates

Remember these flowers? And these vases?

They are in their new homes!

Here's a "before" photo of the window in our kitchen:

Picture frame, random plastic bag, mug with dried flowers

I wanted something that would brighten up the room, since this corner is a little darker, away from the windows, and sits by our reading nook. I thought the bright colors would be good here. Here's what I came up with:






For our desk, I give you this:

Everything looks slanted, but it's not. I think the problem was the photographer.




I have no "before" shot, but imagine a small white plastic container holding a bunch of pens and pencils. It got the job done but wasn't too attractive. Again, I wanted to add some color to the desk, so when I found this vase at Goodwill, I thought it would be perfect.... except it was too big.

I solved this problem by adding some fake flowers. I got a couple of blocks of green floral Styrofoam from the dollar store and cut them to fit in the back half of the vase, then stuck the flowers in. The front half got the pens, pencils, Sharpies, etc. Now the desk has a little more color and the pens and pencils are stored in a brighter, more fun container.

And it didn't cost much. As I mentioned before, the purple flowers were about $1.79, and the daisies were .75 or .80 each. These were all sale prices.... sometimes 50% off or more! Plus, I had a coupon for 20% off the entire purchase for one of these purchases (I bought the flowers in two separate trips). The vases were $3 each from Goodwill.

Thanks to buying secondhand, buying on sale, and using coupons, I was able to make some changes around the house without spending too much. Got to love finding a deal!

It's nice to get a few small things done around the house. Next up: the laundry room!

2 comments:

  1. woohoo! What a beautiful pop of color with those flowers and that vase! Looks great there in your pass through!

    Also, what a cute pencil holder! :)

    ~Lisha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisha! Yep, I'm loving the small changes. :)

      Delete