Friday, April 27, 2012

Upcoming Projects, Part III

Tired of hearing about all the things I need/want to do around the condo? Don't worry.... this is the third and final post of the "Upcoming Projects" series. If you missed the earlier posts, you can find Part I here and Part II here.

The kitchen

Here's our kitchen. Well, here's a portion of it:



What jumps out at you as needing to be updated? Um... everything, right? Unfortunately, "everything" is not in the budget.

Actually, the floor is probably OK. The appliances, which obviously are not shown here, are good, too. The cabinets and counter, however, could use a makeover. I'd like a new granite countertop, but being that we live in a modestly priced condo and, as far as I know, none of our neighbors have granite, it's probably something we wouldn't get money back on when we sell. So I'd be OK with a laminate that looks like granite. Or maybe something else. I'm not sure yet.

I'd like to paint the cabinets white, but like with the desk, I'm scared of what kind of result I might get. If the desk really turns horribly, it's not the end of the world--we could try to fix it or replace it or just deal with it. But you can't exactly go without kitchen cabinets, and their appearance is pretty important too. So instead of painting, we may replace them completely.... or at least replace the hardware.

I'd also like to add a backsplash. I don't know what kind, and this would be one of the last things we do, but I think it could be a not-too-expensive way to add a little something extra to the kitchen.

Since we won't be living here forever, I'm OK with not having my dream kitchen. And a total makeover doesn't make sense financially. But a few changes could be good.

What do you think about our kitchen? What updates should we consider? What can stay as-is?

No comments:

Post a Comment