Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Grilling out (and a recipe)

Spring has sprung here in Indianapolis. Actually, some may argue that it's felt more like summer. There were quite a few days in March that it got into the 70s, and even a few days in the 80s.... pretty hot for Indiana! The temperature dropped a little over the past week or so, but it got hot again yesterday (high 60s-low 70s), so David and I decided it was time to grill out for the first time this season.

I love grilling out. The food tastes great, and it's quick and easy with little clean-up required. Plus, David is generally the one who runs the grill, so that means a little less cooking for me! We grill all kinds of things--steak, chicken, shrimp, veggies, etc. We have one of those baskets that you can leave on the grill to grill vegetables, and we even have a set of metal skewers to make kabobs--yum!

But for last night's dinner, we went for something a little more traditional: the cheeseburger.

Well, I say traditional, but we add a twist to ours: we add cheese and Ranch to the ground beef before cooking. I don't remember where I originally found the recipe (or what, exactly, it is), but it's delicious. I'm writing this with the ingredients and measurements that we use, but they can be adjusted easily based on your personal preference or the amount of food you want to make.

Ingredients:

1 lb. ground beef, thawed
1 packet Hidden Valley Ranch dry salad dressing and seasoning mix
1 small container of blue cheese (8 oz., maybe? I'm not actually sure)

Instructions:

It's really easy! Mix the Ranch dressing mix and blue cheese in with the ground beef. I recommend using your hands and mixing in a little of each ingredient in at a time. Once everything is mixed up, make into patties. We can usually get 4-5 patties with a pound of ground beef, but it all depends on how big you want them to be. Also, you need to pack them together pretty solidly or they may fall apart while on the grill. Make sure they're thick enough to stay together but thin enough that you can get the inside cooked to your liking without burning the outside.

We just added some condiments and we ready to go! We had them with chips on the side, but we've had them with baked beans and fruit before, too.... all are good options.

If you don't have a grill, I bet you could still make these on a smaller George Foreman grill or even by cooking them in a skillet. I've never tried any way but grilling outdoors, but I bet one of these other options could work!

And no, I don't have pictures. Sorry.  :(  Hopefully I'll remember to take them next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment