Wednesday, March 21, 2012

My Pearly Whites

I'd like to take a moment to brag about my teeth.

I went to the dentist yesterday for a cleaning and check-up. The dentist told me (several times) that my teeth looked great. He called them "amazing."

That's right. Amazing. I have amazing teeth.

This wasn't the case six months ago, when I went for my last check-up.

I've always had good teeth. I have only had one cavity in my life, in the second or third grade. I had sealants and braces. I went to the dentist regularly, brushed twice a day, did that disgusting fluoride mouthwash once a week in grade school. All was good.

Until last fall, when I went to the dentist for a check after an almost-two-year absence. I'm ashamed to admit it, but once I'd moved across town, I decided to find a new dentist so I didn't have to drive 40 minutes to my old one. Unfortunately, it took a couple of years before I got around to finding a new one. It wasn't until last spring that I finally called the dentist that my husband used and recommended to me (very highly recommended to me). I found out they didn't take my insurance, so when I got married, I got on my husband's dental insurance and made an appointment.

I wasn't worried about my teeth because, embarrassingly, there had been another time in my life when I'd skipped the dentist for a couple of years (shortly after I graduated from college and got a new apartment in Cincinnati but didn't get around to finding a dentist right away), and my teeth had been fine then, so I assumed they would be this time, too.

But they weren't. Last fall, after doing the check-up, the dentist announced that I had three cavities. THREE. I'd only had one my entire life, and now I had three more? It was crazy.

I went back a couple of weeks later to get those filled, and over the next six months, I took ridiculously good care of my teeth. In the past, I'd only flossed every now and then (I know, I know) but now I started flossing almost every day. I cut back on Coke and other sweets. I was determined to not have another cavity.

And the extra attention paid off yesterday, when I got the "amazing" comment. Now, I just have to keep this up.

I mentioned that David gave me a very enthusiastic recommendation of the dentist. He kept telling me how awesome he was, and I laughed, but now I understand why he said that. Our dentist is great. He's friendly and honest, and his staff is wonderful as well. The hygienist yesterday remembered me from six months ago (she asked me when I'd cut my hair, because it was shorter than she remembered). When I was getting the cavities filled, they told me, step by step (in plain English), what they were doing. When I was checking out and I had an insurance question, they called the company right then to get an answer for me. One time, David got to his appointment on time but had to wait a few minutes before they called him back, and the dentist came in and apologized for the delay and gave him a $5 Starbucks gift card for the inconvenience. Now THAT'S customer service! Oh, and he's also a big supporter of local music. What a fun guy!

If you're in Indy and looking for a dentist, I highly recommend ours! His name is Dr. Kolman, and his office is in Broad Ripple. His website is www.kolmandental.com


Note: I wasn't asked to do this review, and I wasn't paid or compensated in any way for writing it. I'm just really happy with my dentist (and my teeth!) and wanted to share his information with you. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment