Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Quitter Conference

Last weekend, I was in Nashville to attend the Quitter Conference, hosted by Jon Acuff, author of "Quitter: Closing the Gap Between Your Day Job & Your Dream Job." (I've written about this book before; check out my previous post here.)

This conference was, in one word, awesome. Jon is a great speaker--equal parts informative, inspirational, motivational, and funny. He told us about his experiences with past jobs and working to find a way to pursue his dream (which he's now doing!). The conference was Friday evening and all day Saturday and consisted of several different parts, including figuring out what your dream is, discovering (and overcoming) fears that may prevent you from pursuing your dream, and getting started on your dream.

Jon also had a few guest speakers, including his wife, who talked about being married to someone chasing a dream and how to keep working on your marriage while working on your dream. They were great to listen to as well.

And then there were the other attendees. There were 200+ people in attendance, and it was quite motivating to see others in my situation. They came from all over.... Florida, Pennsylvania, Mississippi, Tennesee, Nebraska, and several more. They were all there to find out how to follow their dreams (or, in the case of some, figure out their dreams).

It was a very inspiring weekend. It's motivated me to keep working on my writing, editing, and graphic design. I'm going to try to blog more often as a way to keep writing regularly. I'm building an online portfolio with all my writing and design clips, and it's been fun looking at what I've done in the past and thinking about new projects. I'll post those here as I complete them. I want to keep learning as well.... reading books and taking classes.

I'm looking forward to all of this! And I'm so glad I went to the Quitter Conference! Thanks, Jon, for inspiring us to follow our dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment