Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Home Improvement: Painting the Bathroom (During)

Well, I was hoping to do just "before" and "after" photos, but the project turned out to be a little more extensive than I expected, so I'm adding some "during" photos as well.

First was removing the wallpaper. Remember the peeling wallpaper border? Here, let me refresh your memory:


It had to go. Believe it or not, that took almost two hours. The bottom layer of adhesive just didn't want to come off. It was a slow-moving process as I scraped it all off, little by little. I didn't get any pictures, but just imagine a big pile of wallpaper shavings on the floor and you'll get the idea.  :)

Under the wallpaper, I found a few nicks and gouges in the drywall. This was an unpleasant surprise, as I'd now have to fill those spots. Of course, if I was going to do that, then I'd have to use primer on the wall, too. I know a lot of people will gasp in horror at what I'm about to say, but here goes: I rarely use primer when painting. I know, I know.... it preps the wall and all that, but unless I'm painting brand-new drywall (which I'm usually not) or I'm painting a lighter color over a darker color (again, usually not), I don't mess with primer. But another reason to use it is if you've fixed a few spots on the wall you're about to paint, so I gave in and decided that I'd use primer this time around.

I wasn't there yet, though. First, the spackling (which, actually, I enjoyed doing):


While that was drying, I tested a color I'd bought a sample of earlier:


I had a little fun with trying out the color.  :)
Kentucky is greater than Michigan State.  :)  My husband (the Michigan State fan) enjoyed seeing this when he got home.

I liked the green, but I wasn't sure it was what I wanted to use. I didn't want to keep buying and trying samples, though, so I decided to go back to my paint swatches and try again. In the meantime, though, it was time to sand the areas I'd spackled and then apply the primer.

You can't really tell very well in this picture, but here's the bathroom after priming:

The coloring looks weird because of the lighting, but all the walls are white.

Next step: painting!

While I've never particularly enjoyed painting, I've never really minded it, either. Sure, it's messy and time-consuming, but I've always enjoyed picking out a new color for a room and the difference it makes when all is said and done.

It's usually been easy enough to get all the work done in a day or two, but this time around, the work has taken a lot longer than expected. For one thing, it's a small half bathroom, so I figured it wouldn't take too long to paint since there wasn't much space to cover. I had forgotten, however, about all the nooks and crannies involved with painting a bathroom (like painting carefully around the toilet and the sink). I also hadn't expected the lack of space to be an issue, but it was.... imagine having all the painting supplies in that one small room. Also imagine when you're trying to paint behind the door in said room and therefore said door must be shut, and it's just you, the paint, and the paint fumes. Yes, I can safely say that I would prefer to paint a large bedroom or sitting room any day over a small bathroom. Oh well... lesson learned.

I'll be posting "after" photos as soon as it's finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment