Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Being a Quitter

I recently finished reading "Quitter: Closing the Gap Between Your Day Job & Your Dream Job" by Jon Acuff. (Check out his blog here.) It's all about... well, I think the title gives you an idea.  :)

Jon Acuff currently works as an author and speaker with the Dave Ramsey team. (Dave Ramsey is an author and radio show host who specializes in personal finance and works to help get people out of debt.) In his book, Jon talks about how he kept quitting jobs, year after year, because they weren't what he was looking for. In the meantime, he was working on his dream job of speaking on the weekends, flying in and out of town. He spoke to Dave Ramsey's team several times before Dave personally offered him a job. Now, Jon has his dream job.

In his book, he talks about how you too can go after your dream job. His first piece of advice is not to quit your day job--yet. He talks about how that job can actually help you achieve your dream.... and not just financially (because, you know, you do have to keep paying your bills while you pursue your dream). He says you have to learn to like your day job as you pursue the job you love--the dream job. You can't spend the day being unhappy and a bad employee at work, then go home and just suddenly become a happier, more productive person. You have to use your day job as a chance to practice for your dream job.

He also talks about starting small and waiting while your dream develops, working hard at building your dream, and, eventually, quitting your day job (or "being a quitter") to continue forward with your dream job.

I don't want to say too much more about the book, but if you're trying to figure out how to make the jump from what you do all day to what you'd like to do all day, then the book is definitely one you'll want to check out.

I'm currently trying to pursue my dream job. Well, technically, I'm trying to figure out what exactly my dream job is (I have some ideas) so I can fully go about pursuing it. Unfortunately, I don't have a day job, and I didn't even get a chance to be a Quitter and quit my day job--I got laid off first. But I guess that means I have a little more time to continue working to pursue my dream.

Oh, and Jon hosts a Quitter Conference as well. More on that soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment